- Each student in Queer Housing will work with a professional staff member throughout the year to be supported as needed, or connected to any resources or other supports that the student is interested in.
- There is a Resident Assistant (RA) for the QH community (who is intentionally chosen for this community), who works closely with the program leads throughout the year to provide additional support, regular check-ins with the students, and programming for the QH community.
- We welcome ideas and feedback from our Queer Housing members about what they would like to see in regards to programming and other aspects of our program. Our goal is to build our program so that it meets the self-expressed needs of our students. We hope to also use this information to help improve our support of our other queer students throughout the rest of our Residence community.
How do I Apply to Queer Housing?
- If you are interested in QH, you can apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest. You will also need to fill out a Residence Application and pay a $75.00 application fee.
- Next, a professional staff member will reach out to you to gather some information. The staff member will ask about what you hope to see from the program, what your pronouns and preferred name are, what type of unit you would be most comfortable living in (a non-binary unit, a female identified unit, male identified unit, etc.), and if there are any specific types of supports that you would like to receive throughout the year.
- After your initial chat with a professional staff member, you will be sent an official welcome email to welcome you to our program. You will also be asked to fill out a Roommate Placement Questionnaire which will assist us in placing you with compatible roommates
FAQs about Queer Housing
The future of Queer Housing
Our goal is to expand and continually improve Queer Housing so that we can provide the highest quality of support and best Residence experience possible to our queer students. Below we’ve included a couple of ways in which we are currently growing our program.
Queer Housing Lounge
We are very excited to announce that there will be a Queer Housing Lounge in Residence in the near future! This lounge will be for not only our Queer Housing students, but for any student in Residence who identifies as 2SLGBTQ+. The plan was to open the lounge for September 2020, however, due to COVID-19, the opening will be postponed.
The lounge will have a queer library that provides collections from the queer community to be showcased, and will have other resources available to students. We will also have office hours where staff will be present to connect with students and offer information about campus and community resources. This will be a social space for all queer students in Residence to mingle and get to know each-other, study together, or just have some tea and chat.
We are really looking forward to offering this space for all of our queer students, and are excited for its opening.
Increased Live-In Spaces
Our pilot project started with a few apartments, but we hope to increase that number over the coming years as needed. As we see an increase in applications, we will increase the number of Queer Housing spaces to accommodate a larger number of students. We will continue to work with residents to improve Queer Housing to meet everyone’s needs over the coming years.