Prior to Moving Out
When vacating, residents are required to clean their own room and the common areas in their unit (if applicable). Residents will be provided with emailed instructions and information from the Residence Services Office on move-out procedures and room inspection scheduling. Please note: residents are not required to be present during the final room inspection. However, those that request to be present during the final room inspection are required to schedule a room inspection (information will be provided by email) and return their room keys on the same date as the scheduled final room inspection.
Unit Condition Reports that were completed and submitted by each resident at the beginning of their residency will be reviewed and compared to the Unit Condition Reports completed by Residence staff during the final room inspections. The charge for missing items, furnishings, damage beyond reasonable wear and tear and cleaning will be assessed following move-out. Upon vacating, cleanliness will be defined as having completed the following:
- Wash and clean the mirror
- Wash and clean desk and desk drawers
- Remove all pictures, posters, tape, nails, hooks, brackets (from the walls) and wash the walls prior to the inspection
- Wash all light fixtures and replace all burnt out bulbs (contact your caretaker for bulbs)
- Clean inside of windows including window tracks; replace dismounted drapery tracks and hooks
- Clean heat radiator cover
- All carpeted areas must be vacuumed, tile floors are washed
- Make sure bookshelves are cleared of all materials and cleaned
- Remove all garbage from the room and wash garbage can
- All items should be removed from closets
- Room door is cleaned of all messages and/or graffiti (inside and out)
- The walls have been left in the original paint colour
- Oven, stove and range hood fan are clean (if your oven has a self-cleaning setting please utilize this function prior to the final room inspection)
- Refrigerator and freezer have been defrosted and cleaned
- All bathroom fixtures are washed thoroughly. Toilets and surrounding walls must be cleaned
- Closets, cupboards and drawers are emptied and wiped out
- All waste is removed from the unit
- Personal belongings have been removed from room/unit and storage lockers prior to inspection
- Room is left in the same state of cleanliness as upon taking occupancy
- Bathtub, toilets, sink, shower and surrounding walls must be cleaned
Please make any necessary arrangements with your roommate(s) to ensure an equal share of cleaning in the unit/room and allocate responsibilities on the cleaning wheel located in your living unit.
Keys must be returned to the staff member performing the final room inspection, or to the Residence Services Office at the time that you move out. A charge for unreturned mailbox keys or keys that cannot be identified will be assessed. In order to properly identify returned keys, key envelopes are provided to residents in each Residence Hall and are also available at the Residence Services Office. Other tasks to complete prior to vacating included settling your telephone, cable and internet bills (if applicable) and completing a change of address card at the post office or visit www.canadapost.ca and submitting the online change of address form.
As a reminder, residents are required to sign a Residence Agreement at the onset of their residency and this contract is legally binding for the full duration of the term outlined in the Residence Agreement. Residents are also financially responsible for the full period of the Residence Agreement, by the due date stipulated in the letter of offer. Please refer to your Residence Agreement for more details.
Subject to Residence Services Office approval, your contract may be terminated early only when:
- A resident withdraws from the University of Saskatchewan ; or
- A resident has certified medical reasons with supporting medical documentation in support of vacating residence.
Your request for a cancellation of the Residence Agreement must be in writing and submitted to the Residence Services Office, along with supporting documentation. Please avoid making arrangements to leave residence, prior to scheduling a meeting with the Residence Operations Manager in order to discuss the cancellation of the Residence Agreement. A Notice to Vacate Residence Form must also be included with your written request.
Notice to Vacate
To provide the proper notice to vacate, residents must complete and submit the online Notice to Vacate Residence Form. Notice to vacate will not be accepted verbally, by phone or by email.
All residents must give 2 months (60 Days) advance notice that they intend to vacate Residence and this Notice to Vacate must be provided to the Residence Services Office on the 1st calendar day of the month. If the resident provides notice on any calendar day, other than the 1st of the month, their 60 days Notice to Vacate will be counted from the 1st calendar day of the following month.
Failure to provide 2 months (60 days) Notice to Vacate will result in the resident being held financially responsible for the entire amount of rent agreed upon in their Residence Agreement.
If your student status changes, or if you have questions about your student status or if you have special circumstances for an early departure from Residence, please contact the Residence Services Office to further discuss your situation.
If you are graduating, please contact the Residence Services Office prior to submitting a Residence Application for the upcoming year.
Move-Out Times and Dates
All residents planning to vacate their living space must complete the move out checklist prior to scheduling their move out. If you are planning on moving before the scheduled date, please complete the Notice to Vacate form and submit it to the Residence Services Office.
If you would like to continue your stay in Residence past these dates, please visit the Residence Housing Portal to submit a Residence Application for the next available term. Please note that Residence Applications are received on a first come/first serve basis and accommodations are provided based on availability.
Move Out Dates and Times
Voyageur Place, Seager Wheeler and College Quarter (Term 1 Only)
Friday, December 22, 2017 at 12:00pm (Noon)
Voyageur Place, Seager Wheeler and College Quarter (8 Month Residence Agreement)
Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 12:00pm (Noon)
Graduate House, Assiniboine Hall, Wollaston Hall and Souris Hall (12 Month Residence Agreement)
Friday, August 31, 2018 at 12:00pm (Noon)